Submissions are open to Brenau students (undergraduate & graduate) of all majors. They are 100% blind, meaning that each piece is considered without knowledge of its author and therefore avoids issues of bias.
You will receive a confirmation email when we have received your work. You will receive notification of whether or not your piece(s) were accepted within two weeks of the submission deadline. The deadline to submit for the 2017-18 magazine is pending.
If you would like to submit for the next edition of our magazine, please email us at BrenauElixir@gmail.com with your pieces attached via Google Docs.
If your piece is accepted, the editors will check for grammar and spelling mistakes before publication. You will receive a draft with these edits for you to approve.
- Must be a current student at Brenau University
- No pieces longer than 1,000 words
- Must fill out bio form (click here)
- Must provide headshot
- If you do not have one, the Elixir staff photographer can make arrangements to take your photo
- For an example of an acceptable headshot, click here*
- May be in black & white or color, but must be from shoulders-up and within close range, and of good quality/high resolution
- Email subject line–Elixir (Genre) Submission(s) 2017-18
- Genres include art, poetry, fiction, and nonfiction
- Your name and all pieces within that genre that you plan to submit attached in a Google Doc per each piece
- Only send pieces in a separate email if they are of a different genre
- Attached poetry or prose piece
- Last name in the header (lefthand corner) of every page
- Page number in the header (righthand corner)
- Title of piece, centered & bold (no caps)
- 12 point Times New Roman font
- Double spaced
- 1-inch margins
- Attached art piece
- Image via Google Photos
- Title of piece as the image file name
- High quality image
- Photographs & graphic design should be high resolution
- Illustrations should be scanned onto a file
- Other art pieces (such as sculptures, etc.) can be reviewed with a lower quality picture as a placeholder providing the Elixir staff photographer can make arrangements to capture the piece upon acceptance for publication